I first noticed this on Patricks site. This is a definate starting point for anyone delving into Windows SharePoint Services and customization.
This document provides answers to some of the most frequently asked questions (FAQs) that IT professionals have about Windows SharePoint Services. The questions and answers will be of specific interest to system architects, implementers and operations staff who have deployed, are deploying or are evaluating the deployment of Windows SharePoint Services in a medium or large size organization.
Built on the Windows Server 2003 platform, Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services makes it easy for IT professionals to implement a dependable, scaleable infrastructure that enables teams to create Web sites for information sharing and document collaboration, using straightforward administrative tools and services. In addition to providing Information Workers more effective information sharing, collaboration and discoverability capabilities, Windows SharePoint Services, when deployed within business units and across organizations, benefits IT departments and administrators in the following ways:
• Reliable and scalable platform. Whether deployed on a single server supporting a small organization or in a large enterprise with tens of thousands of sites and thousands of users, Windows SharePoint Services provides a cost-effective, scaleable collaboration and information sharing solution, without compromising system reliability, security, or performance.
• Powerful administrative control and security. Windows SharePoint Services enables IT Professionals to establish a foundation that can help to reduce administration effort and total cost of ownership while providing exceptional support for present and future team and project collaboration needs.
• Better management and consolidation of corporate file shares. Storing files in Windows SharePoint Services document libraries provides many advantages over storing documents in network file servers. Windows SharePoint Services supplies Web sites with document storage and retrieval with check-in and check-out functionality, version history, custom metadata, and flexible, customizable views. Users can find and share data, with the added assurance that data will not be lost. Overall administration and associated operating costs are lowered.
• Easy to Extend and Integrate. Windows SharePoint Services provides IT professionals with a collaboration environment that is easy to extend and that can connect disparate applications, solutions, and systems into an integrated platform with less administrative time and effort.
• Rich Partner Ecosystem. Broad adoption of Windows SharePoint Services and the resulting demand for related applications and services has lead to the development of an active and growing SharePoint partner ecosystem including ISVs, system integrators, educators and publications.
• Rapid user adoption. Rich out-of-the-box functionality combined with Windows SharePoint Services integration with everyday tools such as web browsers, Microsoft Office applications, e-mail and instant messaging, enable users to quickly and easily begin using Windows SharePoint Services – reducing training needs, as well as helpdesk and IT support requests.